West Galway Family Services
This office is now closed to the public but our community outreach and drop-in service can be accessed on: 091-529390
Who We Are
West Galway Family Services is operated by TUSLA Child and Family Agency. Our role is to provide comprehensive family support services to families experiencing difficulties. The Service aims to reduce the burdens and stress which modern-day living can impede upon them. Support is provided to families through information/advice, practical help, parenting support, group work individual and emotional support etc. An important feature of the service is the commitment to working with Voluntary, Statutory and Community Services to maximise the resources and strengths available to a Family Unit. We work with children from 0-18yrs of age and their parents/guardians. We organise family-led interagency meetings including Meitheal to develop action plans and promote the best outcomes for children and young people.
Our catchment areas are: Westside, Newcastle, Dangan, Bushypark, Moycullen, Shantalla, Claddagh, City Centre, Rahoon, Knocknacarra, Salthill, Barna and Furbo
What We Do
West Galway Family Services uses innovative models of work linked to a theoretical framework, which responds to the specific needs of children and their family.
- Work directly with children and young people at individual and group level
- Provide support to parents and guardians through home visits, individual support and group work programmes
- Provide information and advice to children, young people and parents/ guardians when required
- Act as an advocate for children, young people and parents/guardians when necessary
- Organise family-led interagency meetings including Meitheal to develop an action plan and promote the best outcomes for children and young people
Meitheal is a national practice model designed to ensure that the needs and strengths of children and their families are effectively identified, understood and responded to in a timely way so that children and families get the help and support needed to improve children’s outcomes and realise their rights. It is an early intervention, multi-agency (when necessary) response, tailored to the needs of an individual child or young person.
Meitheal is used in partnership with parents to help them share their own knowledge, expertise and concerns about their child and to hear the views of practitioners working with them. The ultimate goal is to enable parents and practitioners to work together to achieve a better life for the child. Meitheal is voluntary and can only be undertaken when the parent/carer provides their written consent
How We Do It
Our approach is strength-based and needs-led. We offer Intensive Family work and home-based support to parents and families who are experiencing difficult times.
Programmes offered are:
- Parenting Programmes i.e. Early Years 1-6years of age, Middle Years 6-11yrs of age, Adolescent Parenting Program, Parent when Separated Program.
- Helping Hands Program- This programme can teach children to express their feelings, make choices and solve problems. It can help children to develop a strong sense of self and an ability to express their own wants and needs.
- Individual and group work programmes dealing with issue-specific topics, for example, anger management, bullying, self-esteem and self-confidence building etc.
- Access to Nutrition and Cookery courses
- Developmental Play
We offer support through Home visits, weekly / daily contact and also assist parents to access and engage in other services, with referral onto other supports where appropriate. We are available to attend meetings with or on behalf of families.
West Galway Family Services
Westside Family Services,
Seamus Quirke Road,
Opening & Closing