|Event Name:||Venue:||Aimed at:||Date/Time:||Description:|
|Parenting When Separated Programme||Family Centre, Tuam, Co. Galway||Parents who have separated and to learn new techniques in relation to their parenting||Starting on the 16th of April||6 week parenting programme to help parents to become more aware of how this separation is impacting on their children’s lives and to learn new parenting techniques to deal with this change.|
|Caring Dads||Family Centre, Tuam, Co. Galway||Fathers||Early March||17 week programme aimed at fathers to help them understand how there abusive nature and has impacted on their children. This is not a parenting course or a domestic violence programme.|
|Techspace||Family Centre, Tuam||All young people||Ongoing||Use of technical equipment in small groups aimed at children that need support away from conventional methods.|
North Galway Family Services
Who We Are
North Galway Family Services are a Tusla Child and Family Agency Service.
We recognise that every family is unique and that all families need support at certain times. We work with families with children from birth to 18 years. We provide a service to children and their families within their own homes and communities to build on their strengths and overcome difficulties.
We are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5.30pm and also outside of these times by appointment in order to suit a family’s needs.
North Galway Family Services catchment area covers the following, from:
What We Do
- Work directly with children and young people at individual and group levels
- Provide support to parents and guardians through home visits , individual support and group work programmes
- Provide information and advice to children, young people and parents/ guardians when required
- Act as an advocate for children , young people and parents / guardians when necessary
- Organise family led interagency meetings including Meitheal to develop an action plan and promote the best outcomes for children and young people
- Meitheal is a national practice model designed to ensure that the needs and strengths of children and their families are effectively identified, understood and responded to in a timely way so that children and families get the help and support needed to improve children’s outcomes and realise their rights. It is an early intervention, multi-agency (when necessary) response, tailored to the needs of an individual child or young person.
- Meitheal is used in partnership with parents to help them share their own knowledge, expertise and concerns about their child and to hear the views of practitioners working with them. The ultimate goal is to enable parents and practitioners to work together to achieve a better life for the child. Meitheal is voluntary and can only be undertaken when the parent/carer provides their written consent
How We Do It
Intensive Family work and home-based support is offered to parents and families who are experiencing difficult times. Many families also can attend programmes tailored to suit their needs, some of which include:
- Parenting Programmes
- Parent and Toddler Group
- Individual and group work programmes dealing with issue-specific topics, for example,
- anger management,
- self-esteem and self-confidence building etc.
- Access to Nutrition and Cookery courses
- Developmental Play
We offer support through Home visits, weekly / daily contact and also assist parents to access and engage in other services, with referral onto other supports where appropriate. We are available to attend meetings with or on behalf of families.
Who We Serve
North Galway Family Services
Opening & Closing